Is being a part of the non-technical group really important?
Before jumping to the answer let us first understand what is a non-technical group. The non-technical group is the group that conducts events and activities which are directly or indirectly related to managing the public at large. In my current college days, I have been part of several non-technical groups like Avalanche, Scriptink and some technical group like Decoders, Dgplug Technical groups are always a good option as they directly build your academics and problem-solving skills.
Is it not economical to be a part of some technical groups as they also conduct competitions where I can interact with public? Yes, you can but just being in the technical group won't give you all skills related to Interpersonal as well as Intrapersonal. Interpersonal skills include teamwork, leadership, fluent communication, etc. Intrapersonal skills are the way you talk to yourself; includes self-esteem, open-mindedness, etc.
Advantage for being in Non-Technical groups
When you conduct non-technical events, you need to attract the crowd as they show little interest unless it is properly advertised and spoon-fed. Most of them find it a waste of time and the situation becomes worse if it has some entry fees. Then there comes your selling skills which include efficient communication, convincing power, body language, confidence and lot more. Below are the following positions where a group act as a sculpture which helps to give the right shape to your personality.
- Letter permission: Drafting a letter is one of the important tasks as it is the first step to get permission. Here you learn how to frame a letter with utmost care.
- Event Planning: Now deciding an event name and the idea requires a lot of creativeness. Because this will decide whether your audience will leave the venue happily or not.
- Digital Poster: Now after the events are decided and date is fixed it's time to reach the maximum audience. Digital poster and pamphlets are the best and cheapest way to advertise. Here you learn editing tools like Adobe Photoshop, Premiere Pro, etc.
- Handmade poster: Here you get to showcase your creativity in forms of brush and paints.
- Sponsorship: To make all this stuffs require lots of money. Hence getting sponsors for your event is one of the most important tasks. Here you will develop marketing skills. No matter how good your product is but without proper marketing it is worthless.
- Treasury: All the purchasing related kinds of stuff are handled by this person. Treasury is considered to be the backbone of the group. Here you will develop skills on where and how to spend money efficiently.
- Team player : Great teams consist of the right people, not the best people. Every team member must understand the importance of working in a team because the team needs dedication and perseverance.
- Anchoring: Anchoring helps you to overcome stage fear, enhances the ability to engage the audience and also improves your body language.
So by now you might have got a fair idea on how non-technical groups work and how it helps in shaping your social interaction. But getting into these elite groups is not always an easy task. They have their rigorous recruitment test which includes: 1. Quantitative round, 2. Group Activity 3. GD (Group Discussion) 4. PI (Personal Interview) Being in a group helps in making your college life super memorable. ALL THE BEST!